God is so gracious to us. He knows we have spiritual amnesia. He knows that we are forgetful. So he gives us memorials. He commands us to do certain things that will serve as reminders. Here are six practical ways, among others, to combat spiritual amnesia.
1. Think. What are some events that you can look back on as a pile of stones marking a defining moment for you — a moment when God showed his power in your life, when he was guiding you in a very clear way, when he answered a prayer, fulfilled a promise? “I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds” (Psalm 77:12).
2. Thank. Engage your heart in gratitude for what he has done. “I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds” (Psalm 9:1).
3. Tell. Once we’ve spent time remembering and thanking the Lord for the great things he has done for us, the joy of those memories should overflow in our conversations with those around us. In Joshua 4, we find this instruction specifically regarding children: “When your children ask their fathers in times to come, ‘What do these stones mean?’ then you shall let your children know, ‘Israel passed over this Jordan on dry ground’” (Joshua 4:21–22).
4. Traditions. As you think about holiday and birthday traditions, consider how you can incorporate ways of telling the stories of God’s faithfulness. A good resource for exploring this theme is Treasuring God in Our Traditions by Noël Piper.
5. Transcribe. Keep a journal. Write out prayer requests, and then record the ways in which God answers those prayers. When you’re feeling discouraged, look back on those records of God’s faithfulness.
6. Taste and See. The ordinances of the Lord’s Supper and baptism are profound ways of remembering and proclaiming what Christ has done. God is gracious to give us vivid reminders that incorporate our various senses.
Let us not forget. May we be people who fight spiritual amnesia with God-given means of remembrance.
DaPrince Oluwatosin Odumosu is a digital media practitioner, A serial social media strategist, promoter, a brand Influncer, a Gospel blogger and registered member of Iacmp.ng ( International Association Of Christian Media Practitioners). ☎️08103271948.